RELOCATED! Moved to Solitude
November 7th, 2021
Unfortunately, members of the Blue Heron Farm family have contracted COVID-19 and that puts their farm on lockdown. The good news is the family expects to make a full recovery.
Rather than reschedule again, we have decided to move the event to Solitude, just down the road. You'll still be able to enjoy a farm experience and learn as you explore the fleece, history and special qualities of a heritage breed: Clun Forest. Solitude is Gretchen & Joan’s home, a beautiful small farm in western Loudoun County, Virginia, about 60 miles west of Washington DC
- Tour of Solitude
- Clun Forest sheep come to visit Solitude to meet you (plus the resident Romney and dairy goats). Shepherd, possibly Jen Puffenberger, will give talks on the Clun Forest breed
- Spinning classes using Clun Forest wool with Caroline Hockenberry of Fibernate*
- Knitting classes using Clun Forest yarn with Kathy Reed*
- Bring or start a project (knitting, crochet or spinning) on the porch and join discussion about woolen/worsted spun yarns
- Natural dyeing demonstration in the Solitude Wool dye shed (😁 garage)
- Clun Forest lamb cooking demonstration and tasting with chef/author Olwen Woodier
- Bluemont Vineyard wine tasting (🤞we are trying to transfer remote liscense etc) and Georges Mill goat cheese tasting
- Introducing our new Clun Forest light yarn in Solitude Wool booth plus clearance sale of our discontinued Clun Forest three ply yarn
- fire pit 🔥 to warm yourself. Wear your woolies! Fall weather comes this week
Not recommended for small children. Please leave your pets at home.
*You can buy tickets to any of the paid classes below during your ticket purchase on Eventbrite. They are located under "additional items".
The Gentle Art of Drop Spinning with Caroline Hockenberry - 12:30 - 2:00 pm ($45) limit 8
Those who are knitters and crocheters are already aware of the visual and tactile benefits of the fiber arts. Drop spinning adds a deeper connection to our love of yarn. This simple act, using an inexpensive, centuries old tool, is a peaceful moving meditation, with the added benefit of creating a useful end product. What seems like magic, watching twist and fiber turn into handspun yarn on a spindle, is a step-by-step process easily learned in this hands-on workshop. Go home with the skills to make your own magic with this simple, portable tool, and fiber. No previous spinning experience necessary.
Clun Forest Roving
Supplies to bring: (or may be purchased from the instructor for $10.00)
1.5-1.75oz. Top whorl drop spindle
Intentional Spinning with Caroline Hockenberry - 2:30 - 4:00 pm ($45) limit 8
Can you spin a continuous strand of yarn on your wheel? Then you’re ready to begin unlocking the secrets of take-up, twist ratio and drafting, to create yarn with intention. In this workshop we’ll use Clun Forest roving, wheel mechanics, and woolen and worsted drafting techniques to create two very different yarns. The first will be a consistent bulky single, and the second a lofty two-ply using long draw. We’ll address specific adjustments for each student’s wheel, and also discuss how various fibers and fiber prep affect your handspun yarn.
Clun Forest Roving
Supplies to bring:
Spinning Wheel or e-spinner (no spindles, please)
Oil for wheel/e-spinner
Note taking supplies
Cable Knitting with Kathy Reed - 12:30 - 2:00 ($45) limit 12
Accelerate your cable projects by learning to skip that third needle. It’s easier than you think. Class includes:
- When and how to knit cables without a cable needle
- Discussion of yarn choices for cable projects
- Reading cable charts
- Keeping track of where you are in your knitting
- 50 yds of Clun Forest 3-ply yarn
Students should bring a pair of US 8 needles (straight, circular or double pointed)
Cost: $45 for 90 mins
Knit continuous mitered squares blanket with Kathy Reed - 2:30 - 4:00 ($45) limit 12
Learn to knit mitered garter stitch squares and connect them without seaming! We’ll be using Solitude Wool’s newest yarn, Clun Forest Light. The pairing of yarn and simple pattern motif is perfect for whipping up baby blankets, light weight throws and more.
50 yds Solitude Wool Clun Forest Light
Mitered Garter Sts Square
Picking up and knitting
Garter st in the round
I-cord bind off
Students should bring a pair of US 7 needles and 24" circular US 7 as well as tapestry needle and scissors.
Knitting with Worsted and Woolen Spun Yarn - a FREE sit and knit with Melissa Weaver Dunning 2:30 - 4:00 pm
Bring your work in progress or start a new one. We’ll have a swift and winder on hand. If you bring your WIP, be sure to also bring the yarn label!
We’ll discuss the difference in the yarns’ preparation, spinning, looks, feel, behavior, resulting fabric and life cycle. We’ve got some ideas, and look forward to hearing yours!